For an easy, economical dish that’s heart-healthy – low in sodium and saturated fat – and packed with flavor, try baked tomato tilapia.
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or 1 14-ounce can of peeled tomatoes, chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme (fresh is best, but dried will do)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking dish with vegetable oil.
- Arrange the fillets in the dish so they do not overlap.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Pour tomato mixture over the fillets, spreading evenly.
- Bake uncovered 15-20 minutes, or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.
- Serve on a bed of cooked rice.
Serving Size: 1 fillet